Tuesday 1 July 2014

Raising the "Protesters" generation

One man I envied while growing up was late Nelson Mandela. After reading about his feat as an activist and how he managed to liberate South Africa from the hands of white racists. All I just wanted to become when I grow up was to be an activist like Nelson Mandela. Not long after that I started to think and behave like an activist. Trying to protect people I thought were intimidated. I began to carry the activist mentality. A mentality that always clamors for a revolution, a mindset that always thought that protesting was the only thing that the government of this day need.
In 2007, after dropping the eggs that I had gone to help my mum take home, I went back to join a protest organized by the now governor of Edo State (Adams Oshiomhole); a protest that nearly took my life. But as I began to grow in knowledge, I discovered that protesting or a revolution might bring a solution to some of the problems but it will definitely culminate in the next generation of protesters.
Protesting is beginning to eat down into the system of some Africans that even church members now do street protest against their pastors, children now protest against their parents and servants now protest against their masters. Where did we miss it? Where did the roundtable discussions go? How did we end up as shouters and protesters rather than gentle peace makers? Believe you me, some problems would not have lingered if you and I didn’t get involved. I thought about the everyday clamor for a revolution and even war against the governments of nations in Africa. Why do we now have more so called human right activists than entrepreneurs?
Who are funding these NGO’S, who is backing them, are they leading us to embrace the protest and revolution mentality out of a pure and sincere heart or do they have hidden agendas? Or are they been used by foreign foundations and nations that fund most of them against their own country? Then who is telling the truth about the clamor for a revolution? Street protests might be able to solve some of the problems in Africa but believe you me, as we are celebrating that a problem has been solved, we are also creating a bigger problem of raising a generation of inborn protesters. Research has found out that even passion can be transferred to children.
Let’s not forget the gentle man’s approach to problems and let’s always dig deep into the lives of these so called human rights activists that are calling us out to protest over little or even difficult things and situations. Let’s stop raising a generation of protesters.

No comments:

Post a Comment