Tuesday 1 July 2014

The Idle Manhood






Coming back home from school after a very stressful semester, I got to a place close to my house and I saw some boys gathered together. Some were playing cards; some were playing drafts while some were busy discussing about sport, politics, entertainment and even the richest man in the world. Looking at my phone clock, it was afternoon. This made wonder while full bodied youths would sit down at noon and discuss when they should be in their offices (as entrepreneurs) or in their place of work.
This kind of lifestyle is very rampant most especially in cities and town where one would have thought otherwise. I use to hear stories of how full bodied men would wake up in the morning and trek for about 10 to 30mins to a newspaper stand just to read the front page headlines and then begin to argue. This prompted me to wake up every morning just to see for myself. On one particular occasion, an argument ensued over which club is the best in Italian league. This argument later ended in a physical brawl between two guys who claimed to be graduates. But the question is; why should graduates make themselves idle?
Some will blame the government while some blame the rich for not catering for the poor but rather buying private jets (that they call vanity) with money. Is the government really the full cause of poverty or are the rich and wealthy now responsible for the poor? Should the rich stop living the life that they dreamt of that made hunger to succeed and start using their money to cater for the poor?
Why should full bodied men make themselves idle all in the name of unemployment? Now back to my story. As I got home, I told my younger brother about what I had witnessed and I was surprised to know that he too has observed them. He told me that the younger among them is 28yrs. He told me their sitting positions with exactness and he even gave me their names, tribes, academic qualifications and even their spending habits. I thought he had gone out and saw them but I was shocked when he told me that that’s how they visit that same spot every day.
Some of them thought that I was proud, because I would rather sit inside my room to think and plan about my life and future. We should sit down as men that we claim we are to think; if our parents, government, church, friends and even the rich refuse to assist us it doesn’t mean that we should sit down and wait for any opportunity rather than looking for opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment